Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kawela Bay











Today was a relatively slow day...peaceful and quiet. I have been wanting to hike to a nearby, but little known bay called Kawela Bay since reading about it in my guidebook...for 2 reasons. One, it's isolation. Two, scenes from the TV show 'Lost' were filmed there. Again, with Brian at training, Maddie and I set off to find this hidden treasure (with the help of our full-time resident condo neighbor Linda...thanks Linda!) I gotta say the journey was every bit as excellent as the destination (as is usually the case when we pay attention). It was ~2 mile hike, maybe less, along the coast and in and out of the bordering 'jungle'. Wow. I am hooked. Maddie was less enthused since we were hiking fast and it was hot and we were getting the sweat going good. When we arrived, what awaited us is captured in the pic above right...tropical wonder. Deserted except a few fishermen, a couple of kayakers and the two of us. We had to hurry back to go retrieve Brian, so it was about face and hike quickly home. But I knew I was coming back...which I did at ~4pm this afternoon by myself (I couldn't convince Maddie to return and Brian was doing 'soccer things') SO off I went with 1.5 liters of water and my snorkeling gear.









Again, the hike was other worldly, and what I saw when I arrived, you see here...a beautiful, nearly-deserted, peaceful paradise. The sun warmed me, the breeze cooled me, the surf soothed me...as I sat and looked about me in wonder...absolutely heaven on earth. As my buddy Pete would say...it brought a tear to my eye. After soaking this all in for awhile I tried the snorkeling here, but the bay was very murky, so I decided to try my luck at a spot I noticed on the hike in. That was much better, but a bit rough and not as much sea life as Shark's Cove (still the best snorkeling we have had).








Ah well, tomorrow the soccer games begin (with a 530 am departure from the condo...ugh. So the adventures may slow as the futbol kicks into gear, bu we will keep you updated regardless. Tomorrow (Monday) we play Colorado, probably the toughest team in our bracket...so it should be a battle. Brian will probably not play as his foot is still not 100% and Gabe (his coach) doesn't want to chance it yet (everyone will have to be 100% tomorrow). I will let you know what happens. Aloha for today. May the peace I felt today be with you all.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Scott, that's so awesome! It makes me want to go real real real bad. I'm glad you guys are having so much fun. Sorry Maddie puked the other day. I can't believe she didn't mention that on her blog...
Have fun! I look forward to reading more! - Suzy